Monday, April 21, 2014

Reading trail

I & my brother would fight for comics like Mandrake-the magician ,Phantom -the Ghost who walks, & Bahadur.We read Amar Chitra Kathas in school library.I read children’s magazines like Chandamama,Champak,Nandan & Parag.Chandamama’s illustrations have stayed with me, ever since.

Later ,I graduated to reading Nancy Drew & Hardy boys series.I would, borrow these, from the school library.I would not budge an inch, till I had devoured the book completely.

I attended secondary school in a smaller town & to facilitate & encourage reading ,the school library was kept open, even during holidays.The librarian was a teacher named Mr. Lal. Sometimes ,he would get bugged by our antics & noise .We would whisper ,”Mr.Lal is getting red ! “

This reading habit was further strengthened by my dad, as he wanted us, to read ,to  get enriched.He would buy books & borrow for us .He subscribed to Shankar’s magazine ,’The Children’s  world “  for us.I also recall  magazines like Filmfare,Star & Style,Movie,Cine Blitz ,Stardust ,Femina,the Illustrated Weekly of India ,India today & the like.

In College,I started reading novels by Agatha Christie , Sir Arthur Conan Doyle & Ruskin Bond .I started working & during this time,I felt the need to read self help books though my well wishers vouch,  that I have hardly improved ! I read books by Tony Buzan on speed reading ,using our brains,effectively etc.I have also read Deepak Chopra.

I buy many books & even borrow from acquaintances ,friends & relatives.The space crunch in my modest flat, has dampened my urge of buying books.I better join a library now.

I have started loving humour & this has made me read books by P.G.Wodehouse .I also find reading “Yes Minister “ & “Yes Prime Minister “more fulfilling, than watching the televised shows.My legal inclination, has made me read John Grisham & Leila Seth’s autobiography.”We, the people,” by Nani Palkivala & M.C.Chagla’s “Roses in December “ have been inspiring . Medical novels by Robin Cook  are interesting too . Newspapers are read  to keep myself updated .I read increasingly  on the net & “share “ as well.I read recipes, travelogues & about environment,art,culture etc. also.In fact ,my reading has grown  as wide, as it can get.

Slowly & surely ,I must upgrade & start reading classics.Presently,I feel insecure, after completing a book.That is why,nowadays, I take breaks in reading so that I can read it for some more time.I feel lost, after finishing a book.What next , in the book queue ? !


This is my blog post for letter "R" for the A to Z Blogging Challenge.

Sharing blog posts of fellow bloggers :


10 comments:

Prathima Rao said...

That's an interesting trail youhave blazed Vasudha. Mine's nearly the same, but have more science fiction than legal ones. :)

Unknown said...

I too started of with the same comics like you did...graduated to Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys and Enid Blyton. That's so many books I haven't read which you have.

Shail said...

Your childhood book list reads like mine :) And other books too, like Wodehouse, Grisham etc :)

Afshan Shaik said...

this is a read -worthy post Vasu <3
My reading order was more or less similar to urs liek Tinkle - chandama and then sydney sheldon and Agatha (who became my fav) Reading list never ends - does it but am sad as am not reading much these days

vasrao@gmail.com said...

Prathima Rao,

Thank you ! Glad to learn that our reading paths are very similar.

vasrao@gmail.com said...

Thank you Janaki ! Comics are favorites of all youngsters ! I can read comics even today !

vasrao@gmail.com said...

Thank you,Shail !Nice to learn that our list of books is the same !

vasrao@gmail.com said...

Thank you Afshan ! I read Tinkle too ! I discovered Sidney Sheldon quite late & enjoyed !Even my reading has decreased,reasons unknown.

M.C.V. EGAN said...

What a great Reading trail, I know in my 20s when living in Europe and missing American TV sitcoms I entertained myself a lot with PG WOODHOUSE and in high school Agatha Christie got my brain hooked on MYSTERY I loved Nancy Drew as a younger kid but Agatha Christie was pivotal in my READING TRAILO.. fun post #AtoZchallenge ☮Peace ☮ ღ ONE ℒℴνℯ ღ ☼ Light ☼ visiting from http://4covert2overt.blogspot.com/

vasrao@gmail.com said...

Thank you,M.C.V Egan for stopping by ! You are very kind.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...